Dear Victorian Golf Clubs and Facilities,
It was pleasing to hear the announcement from the Victorian government today that we expect golf to return in Melbourne next Sunday, September 26 when Victoria is expected to reach the 80% first dose vaccination target. This will provide some certainty for golf clubs and facilities across Victoria, and we hope this will be the start of a path to full and unrestricted golf activity.
Golf Australia is pleased with this outcome, with the government acknowledging that our sport is safe and socially-distanced by nature. GA has worked closely with the Victorian government – and acknowledges the support of the PGA of Australia – to accelerate the full return of the sport across the state, and we continue to support the government’s vaccination program as today’s announcement reiterates that the road to the full resumption of golf is the continued increase of Victorians who have been vaccinated.
An overview of changes announced today are outlined below. We expect further details on the Chief Health Officer’s directives to be released in the coming days, and once confirmation of the September 26 opening date is announced, we will communicate further on this in the coming days.
Operations Advice – metropolitan Melbourne
- From Sunday, September 26 (or when Victoria is projected to reach its 80% first dose vaccination target) golf clubs and facilities in metropolitan Melbourne can reopen;
- Play must be in groups of two (for players who have received one or no vaccine doses);
- Play can be conducted in groups of four for players who are fully vaccinated (from a maximum of two households);
- Players must reside within 15km of the club/facility that they play at;
- Group coaching can take place with two people (for participants who have received one or no vaccine doses), or with up to five people (if all participants are fully vaccinated. The coach is excluded from these numbers;
- Masks must be worn at all times unless there is a medical reason not to do so. This includes while playing golf;
- All staff, members and visitors must check in using the QR service.
Further changes are scheduled for October 26, at which point Victoria is anticipated to reach the 70% second dose vaccination target. We will communicate more information on the implementation of these changes once confirmed by government and closer to the date.